Terms and Conditions
- Children age 2 and up count as occupants and extra person fees may apply. Do not include children under age 2 when making your reservation. The definition of "occupant" and maximum occupancy is defined and set forth by the Minnesota Department of Health and the Fire Marshal, not our business.
- Please keep in mind that each property has a maximum occupancy that cannot be exceeded.
- The maximum occupancy of our homes is determined by the State of Minnesota. Exceeding the maximum number of guests is grounds for immediate termination without refund. Children under age 2 do not count toward maximum occupancy. Housing additional guests in sleeping bags, tents, or RV’s is not allowed. An occupant (or guest) list must be provided on your rental agreement, including name, age, and number of nights each person will be staying at the property.
- Pets are allowed at some homes with prior approval for an additional fee. Maximum number of pets allowed is 2. Pet owners must pick up droppings, keep pet leashed when outside and keep pets off of furniture and bedding. The pet must also be kenneled if left alone in the home. If we find that you have left a pet alone in the home unkenneled, there will be a $250 fine charged to the credit card on file.
- Parties found with pets without prior approval will be asked to leave immediately without refund and will pay a $250 cleaning fee that will be charged to the card on file. Any other pet damage will be charged back to renters. The Damage Waiver does not cover any pet-related damage.
Reservation Hold Payment
- A reservation hold payment of 50% of your reservation (before taxes and fees) is due within 4 business days of booking. If we do not receive these monies within 4 business days of booking, your reservation is subject to cancelation.
- Reservations will not be considered confirmed until Cascade Vacation Rentals has received the reservation hold payment and signed rental agreement. Once the reservation hold payment is received, whether or not the rental agreement has been completed, the regular cancelation policy applies.
- The balance of your payment is due no less than 30 days before arrival. 30 days prior to your arrival Cascade Vacation Rentals will automatically charge the balance due to the credit card on file that was used for your reservation hold payment. If we do not receive the balance by the 30 days prior to arrival deadline, your reservation is subject to cancelation. If your reservation is booked within 30 days before arrival, the full balance will be due upon booking. The balance for a stay 21 days or longer will be due 60 days prior to arrival the arrival date.
- If you prefer to have the balance due charged to a different card, you must call us prior to your balance due date at 218-663-7971 to make alternative arrangements. If a request to use an alternate credit card is made after your balance due date and we have charged the credit card on file, a 10% service fee will be added to your balance due to cover reprocessing fees. No exceptions.
- If you reduce your number of guests or remove pets from your reservation within the 30 days before arrival, thereby reducing the extra person fees or removing the pet fee, we will provide a refund for these fees upon request. A processing fee of $5 or 10% of refund, whichever is greater, will be deducted from the refund.
CANCELLATION/TRANSFER POLICY (for stays 20 days or less)*
- Cancellations due to weather will receive no refunds or rebates. Transfers between properties within 30 days of your arrival date are considered cancellation, but property transfers more than 30 days out can be processed for a $25 fee 30 days before the reservation and not after.
- If you need to cancel your reservation for any reason, notify us as soon as possible. If you notify our office of cancellation more than 30 days prior to scheduled arrival, all monies, less the service fee and less 10% of the rent paid, will be returned by check or credit card.
- If you cancel your reservation within 30 days of your scheduled arrival, we will make every effort to re-rent the property. If the property is re-rented for the same period of time, you will receive the above-mentioned refund. If only part of your reservation is re-rented, we will refund monies for each night booked – less the service fee and less 10% of the rent paid. If we are unable to re-rent the property, any advance payment will be forfeited.
- If you have CSA travel insurance on the reservation that you need to cancel, please still notify our office. You are responsible for submitting any applicable claims to CSA Travel Protection. Cascade Vacation Rentals is not involved in the claims process. Please contact CSA Travel Protection for any claims or coverage questions.
- In cases where a rental agreement is not completed and returned within the 4 business days, the reservation is subject to cancellation. If a rental agreement has not been received or the guest has decided to cancel their reservation, the regular cancellation policy applies (see above).
*For stays 21 days or longer the cancelation time frame is 60 days before arrival.
VACATION RENTAL INSURANCE - Guest Protect Plan
- CSA Vacation Rental Insurance has been offered with your reservation. Vacation Rental Insurance reimburses for pre-paid, non-refundable expenses due to certain unforeseeable circumstances that may jeopardize your vacation and force you to incur unplanned expenses. View a Description of Coverage/Policy at www.vacationrentalinsurance.com/330cert.
- CSA Travel Protection at 6.95% of your total reservation. It is an optional add-on and can be added to your reservation at the time of booking or up until your balance is paid in full, (30 days before your reservation). You do have the right to cancel this insurance within 10 days of purchasing a policy. Travel Insurance is non-refundable. In the event you need to cancel your reservation the cost of the travel insurance will be taken out of the reservation hold payment in addition to the cancelation fee.
- This insurance will only cover the cost of renting the home. Coverage is provided by CSA Travel Protection. Once travel insurance has been added to your reservation, you will receive an email about your coverage directly from CSA Travel Protection. Feel free to contact CSA with any questions about the policy we offer CSA 330 at (800) 711-1197 or visit their website www.csatravelprotection.com.
KEYS / CHECK IN
- Some renters pick up and drop off keys at our rental office in Lutsen and some check in directly to the rental home. Please check the check-in instructions for the property you have rented. All check-in directions will be in a separate confirmation email that you will receive when your balance has been paid in full for your stay. If you will be checking in at our office and you are arriving or departing after business hours, the code for the secure key drop box on the outside of our building is provided in your check-in instructions email. There is a $25 charge for keys not returned.
- 5335 West Highway 61, Lutsen, Minnesota
- We are in a green building near the Clearview General Store complex.
LOCK OUT CHARGES
- A lockout consists of when a guest locks themselves out of a property and needs assistance from our staff to re-enter. A minimum of a $40 fee will be charged for all lockouts outside of business hours.
- Every effort is made to keep each property and its equipment in good working order, but just like with your own home, failures do occur. Please notify our rental agents of any maintenance problems or difficulty you experience during your stay as soon as possible so repairs can be scheduled. If our office is closed you may always reach staff on the emergency phone.
- Please remember NO REFUNDS/REBATES will be given for mechanical failures. However, if there are failures to necessary systems (such as water, hot water, heat, or septic system) that cannot be resolved in a timely manner, we will make every effort to provide alternative accommodations or compensation. We appreciate your understanding.
- Smoking is not allowed in any of our homes. If smoking outside, be aware of fire danger. Do not smoke directly in front of open windows or allow smoke to blow inside. Please use an ash can and properly dispose of all cigarette butts from property upon departure. You will be charged for clean-up if excessive cigarette butts are found outside. Parties found smoking in the home will be asked to leave immediately without refund and will pay any associated cleaning costs.
FIRES, CAMPFIRES, AND GRILLS
- Many of our homes have grills. You will need to provide your own charcoal and lighter fluid for charcoal grills. Fuel will be provided for gas grills. Never place charcoal grills on decks or touching any structures. For homes with wood fireplaces, please build safe and reasonably sized fires.
- Damage caused by careless fires will be guests' responsibility.
- In most areas, small fires on the beach are permitted. Please use designated fire pit only or create a 3’x3’ fire pit on the beach. Do not use indoor fireplace wood for campfires. Campfire wood is sold in Cascade Vacation Rentals’ parking lot, at most gas stations, and at many road side spots. Please make note of seasonal fire bans and follow any restrictions. Fully extinguish fire and use at your own risk! The Game Warden and Sheriff's Office will issue a $150 ticket for fires left unattended or that are not completely extinguished. If a wildfire starts or structures are damaged as a result of your fire, you are also responsible for any fire suppression costs.
HOUSE PARTIES/QUIET HOURS
- All of our homes are privately owned and our management contract with the owners prohibits house parties. Any guests abusing this policy will be asked to leave immediately with no refund and an additional $250 will be added to the rental fee. In general, neighbors are not tolerant of noise after 10:00 pm. Please make sure that, after this hour, music and voices are not audible outside of your rental.
PRIVACY AND TRESPASSING
- Please be aware that it is illegal to trespass onto a neighbor’s property. Shoreline in Minnesota is not public access. In most cases, your rental includes 100-200 feet of shoreline. Please enjoy this beach and stay off of adjacent properties and their beaches. Most property lines are clearly marked or obvious in some way. If you are in doubt about the property boundaries, call Cascade Vacation Rentals for assistance. Parties trespassing or otherwise being a nuisance to neighbors will be asked to leave immediately with no refund and an additional $250 will be added to the rental fee. Please keep pets contained on property.
- Discharging weapons of any kind, igniting fireworks, lewd or offensive behavior, destructive abuse of home or landscape, terrorizing wildlife, and disrespectful treatment of rental agents is not allowed. Violators are subject to immediate termination of rental and dismissal without refund. Any damage will be charged back to renter. Actions that result in a call or visit from the Sheriff’s Department are subject to a $250 fine.
- All homes except Sandy Beach and Poplar Valley Cabin will be furnished with bed, bath, and kitchen linens. Basic household products such as trash bags, paper towels, and toilet paper, plus dish, laundry (if applies) and bar soap will be provided. Only basic soaps are provided, so please bring your own toiletries. Homes are cleaned and inspected after check-out only. If you wish to have housekeeping services during a longer stay, please contact the rental office for prices and availability.
- Cluster flies, while not harmful, can be a real annoyance on the North Shore. Our housekeepers do a fly check before your arrival, but as flies continually hatch, we cannot guarantee fly-free homes. We thank you for your understanding.
- Our homes are not generally equipped with irons, ironing boards, or hair dryers. Please bring your own.
- Most of our homes are on a septic system and use water drawn from a well. Please let us know if any toilets are running or faucets are dripping. If an alarm sounds, contact us immediately. Do not flush any items except bath tissue and appropriate organic material. Please do not overuse the water supply. You are responsible for costs incurred from abuse or negligence.
- Renters are responsible for any damages or theft. You may be charged for such things as: abuse, damage above normal wear and tear, garbage left at home, pet damage, theft, long-distance telephone charges and extra cleaning costs.
- The Damage Waiver Fee provides coverage for renter of up to $1000/$2000 for reported accidental damage. The level of coverage depends on the property. A $9 Damage Waiver Fee provides up to $1000 and a $19 Damage Waiver Fee provides up to $2000 of coverage. Please refer to your Reservation Invoice to see which level is applicable to the property you have rented. The Damage Waiver Fee is applicable to all reservations, except for reservations at one of the Opel cabins or Bluefin Bay townhomes, due to the commercial ownership of these properties.
- Damage not reported to Cascade Vacation Rentals, LLC will not be covered by this fee and renter will be liable for all costs associated with unreported damage. Intentional damage will not be covered by this fee and renter will be liable for all costs associated with intentional damage. Pet damage will not be covered; renter is responsible for any pet-related damage.
- When departing, please check for personal items. Left items that are found can be returned upon request, with a fee for retrieval, processing, and shipping. Unclaimed items will be disposed of 30 days after a guest’s departure date.
- Please do not rearrange furniture or other items at the home. These homes are privately owned. You may not agree with the placement of items, however, this is the arrangement preferred by the owner. If you do move an item or piece of furniture, please return to its original location upon check-out. Our housekeepers work by themselves and are unable to move couches, mattresses, etc. back to their original location.
- In our rural area, weekly trash pick-up is often not available. Therefore, we must require guests to remove all trash from the property upon checkout. We offer a trash dumpster and recycling drop off 2 blocks up the road from our office in Lutsen. You may use these during your stay and upon departure. Some homes have trash service, so please refer to your check-in letter for additional instructions. This is a wilderness area occupied by animals that love leftovers and will spread garbage everywhere: trash should not be left outside the home for this reason. There will be a $50 charge for trash left at the property or if any trash is scattered on the property.
PLEASE BE AWARE
- Northern Minnesota is a beautiful area, but there are dangers. Hiking, swimming, boating, etc. are done at your own risk. Please use caution and common sense when outdoors. Be aware of unsafe terrain (loose and slippery rocks, dead trees, fast rivers) and use good judgment. Keep a close eye on children, especially around water and near cliffs or rocky places. Always use life jackets when boating. We want everyone to have a safe and healthy vacation!
WATER SPORTS EQUIPMENT
- Cascade Vacation Rentals does not provide any water sports equipment, nor do the owners of the rental properties. Any equipment (e.g. boats, canoes, rafts, etc) at the home is the private property of the owner and may not be used by the renter.
TELEPHONES, TELEVISIONS, INTERNET AND OTHER AMENITIES
- Many, but not all, of our homes have telephones, televisions and other amenities. It is your responsibility to double check the amenities listed for the home you have rented. Every effort is made to ensure that the information on our websites is as accurate as possible. We are not responsible for incorrect assumptions regarding cell phone coverage, internet access, TV service, etc. Please keep in mind that the internet speeds on the North Shore are slower than you may be accustomed to in an urban area. Any long distance charges incurred during your stay will be billed to you. You may make collect calls, use calling cards, and receive unlimited incoming calls. Television/internet repair people might have to travel up to 100 miles or more to reach the rental home. Depending on the extent of the repairs, it might take several days to schedule a service appointment. Amenities like Satellite TV and internet are often affected by bad weather; we cannot guarantee their functionality and we will not provide any refunds or rebates in cases of failure. We will make every effort to remedy the situation as soon as possible.
911 EMERGENCY CALLS
- If a home does not have a land line phone, it is the guests responsibility to make arrangements for emergency calls and communications. Cascade Vacation Rentals will not accept any responsibility for renters unable to contact 911 services or after hours CVR maintenance emergency number in the event of an emergency if no phone is provided.
- The guest agrees to indemnify and save individual homeowner, Cascade Vacation Rentals and its employees, free and harmless for any liabilities or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from, related to, or in connection with rental of the premises. This includes, but is not limited to any claim or liability for personal injury or damage or loss of property, which is made, incurred or sustained, by guest or guest of guest, or any occupants of the premise.