Temperance River State Park is a unique park with a trail that winds along the edge of the Temperance River. Located near Schroeder, Minnesota, the park has plenty of hiking trails and beautiful scenery. Visiting this state park should be at the top of your North Shore to-do list.
Our Favorite Things to Do in Temperance River State Park
1. Hike to the Hidden Falls: With trails winding along both sides of the beautiful Temperance River, taking this hike is a no-brainer. Hike the trail to the Hidden Falls or the Superior National Forest and be ready for some beautiful scenery along the way.
2. Go Rock Climbing on Carlton Peak: Conquer your fear of heights by climbing Carlton Peak which offers over two dozen climbs in the 60-80 foot range. Pick up a required free climbing permit at the visitor center and enjoy the adventure.
3. View the Waterfall South of Highway 61: Visit the waterfall that cut a gorge just south of Highway 61. This beautiful waterfall is one of the park’s most significant attractions.
4. Grab Some Binoculars and Go Birding: Don’t forget the bird checklist as you try to spot different kinds of warblers and sparrows. Temperance River State Park has been known for its wide variety of birds that live in the area and that fly through during spring and fall migration.
5. Enjoy Cross-Country Skiing or Snowshoeing: During the winter, enjoy activities such as cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. The park offers a variety of groomed and un-groomed trails that are perfect for a day filled with winter fun.
Want to learn more about Temperance River State Park? Check out the Exploring the North Shore guide. This guide goes into more detail on camping, accessibility, and more!
The state park entrance is one mile northeast of Schroeder on MN Highway 61 (7620 West Hwy 61, Schroeder, MN 55613). Parking is available on either side of Highway 61 right off the highway. Just pay attention for when the speed limit lowers to 40 and look for the parking areas. You can also drive into the park if you have a state park permit and park near the camping area.
A Temperance River State Park map is available here.